The Hub Winnipeg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Conversation Thus Far

Go down

The Conversation Thus Far Empty The Conversation Thus Far

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:54 am

Below is simply a copy-paste of everything that has gone through and clogged up our collective email boxes. Peruse at your leisure to look at what we've already gone over.

To: cloud_4000@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: The Prairie Hub
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 02:53:51 -0500

Hello all!

Just for a quick clearing up idea, because I think I didn't make clear enough with my initial emails, but the Hub is organic, freetrade, and sustainable as much as is feasibly possible (i.e. unless the environmentally friendly option costs almost double the non-enviro friendly, you go enviro friendly. And if you can't afford to go enviro-friendly, you offset your purchases wherever possible with carbon credits and the like). This bit is entirely non-negotiably because the Hub concept was envisioned with this and without at least trying our damnedest to be environmentally friendly, we won't be recognized as part of the community.

That bit out of the way, I'm going to do a bit more about how other hubs are (in response to questions) before launching into my own ideas. The point of a Hub is different for each Hub with similarities and differences. Islington is essentially a hardcore working space that people are all friends in, but it tends to be a bit quieter. Kings Cross has quite a bit more white noise from people talking because the norm is generally small groups. South Bank, the dream Hub, promises to be across 5 floors so it'll be interesting to hear/see how that one turns out. Also, South Bank is currently billed as having a movie screening room (think small movie theatre), a recording studio, 2 'labs' for idea experimentation (nothing like trying to create a new plastic but some support for computer aided modelling, new product design and the like). It does try to have something for everyone (I haven't even done all of the different other resources they are looking at which include a library, mini-hotel, rooftop deck/garden...etcetc).

That being said; the Hub is supposed to be for anyone who wants to change the world for the better. Scientists, artists, business people; whomever. I think right now the conversation has drifted more towards appealling people on the artistic side of things because its easiest to see what they need. What could the Hub do for science-oriented people, besides offering a space for them to meet, be inspired, and maybe start their own enterprise to make some money to support themselves while making the world a better place?

As for the roof garden; I've talked with some individuals in the UK who have one, as well as done some research, and the largest issue with them in Winnipeg is generally the structural integrity required of the building to support the roof garden AND the snow in winter. Plus it becomes a seasonal thing; though I bet that I'd be out there enjoying the city for a little bit on warmer winter days.

What's happened at the Hubs I've visited so far is it tends to divide up; either by chance or design, into a 'work area' where people naturally know that they arn't as open to talking in this area and other areas that are more random encounters oriented. A big part of the Hub concept is the sense of community that we seek to develop between community members where they can foster new ideas that could be the next big thing in saving/changing the world (my money is on carbon sequestration!)

I agree that the Hub probably can't start out as everything and anything, but right now we're just brainstorming ideas to see what people really like and to figure out growth avenues for the future. I think that by having a lot of impermanent pieces (eg tables, plants, chairs and etc that are very easy to move around) we can accomplish a lot more then otherwise. For example; the zen room could easily be one of the meeting rooms every Wednesday afternoon for people to come in and be very zen. Take out the tables and such, bring in some tea and plants w/ pillows to sit on or something and voila!

Anywho, that's my 0.02$ for now.

Take care everyone!

Tyler

To: fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; tomichinski@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:51:18 -0500

haha thanks Smile

hmm i guess it could probbaly be done....we just have to make sure that whoever's taken care of them can do it right.....corn grows in stalk....potted herbs and strawberries maybe will work...but each need it's own different climat.....either way i think it prob is duable.......def diggin the idea Very Happy:D:D:D I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN lol

To: cloud_4000@hotmail.com; tomichinski@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:41:36 -0500

Good email, claudia!

Well, a roof garden wouldnt be a green house. That would not be environmentally friendly (probably). It would be on an otherwise flat and bleak downtown building's roof (which is flat and collects snow in the winter, it's very structurally sound, im sure!).
A bench or two, potted plants and a few flower beds that are open to the sky. I'm not suggesting we grow trees or anything... Top soil plants could be planted and grown in the summer though! Beans, tomatoes, strawberries... Maybe even corn? Smile It would be organic which keeps in the ideals of the hub and any food could go to the kitchenette or cafe (if one happens), and any flowers could be cut to keep the inside nice. It would be a nice place to relax, blow off steam (young people are restless, i hear) and it would help keep the air of our world cleaner with photosynthesis!

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:49:41 -0500

G'MORNING!

so sorry for not being able to write earlier, been busy with a bout half a trillion things (yes a trillion)

quite boxes are a great idea, especially since we live in wpg and it sucks when you have to leave somewhere to talk (aka outside...in winter=not cool)...although washrooms are a great place..sometimes.. agreed that they should be small places, the point of the hub is to study/work/chill and not to be talkin on the cellular for hours at a time

i agree that there should be a selection of alcohol for events, especially if the hub is in downtown, plenty of pubs to visit...and we don't want to have to deal with intoxicated ppl, not that we would be getting drunks right left and center, but still

there are plenty of places that would dig the concept of fair trade and organic food being sold at this establishment, i'm sure we can get a few of them and work out a deal.....would everything be fair trade and/or organic? or just have the option? ppl may be turned away..then again there is the kitechnett, ergo ppl can bring their own grub

roof garden would be sweet,but like danica said living in wpg, that makes it difficult, plus not to mention heating bills to keep the green house effect up there.........but having plants inside would def be a plus.....that being said, i would love it if further down the road we could actually construct a roof garden...that said, jenwa how do you actually envision this roof garden?

going along w/ jenwa's ideas...
digging the concept of zen rooms....or at least to have one place/room where it would be meditating......bamboo yes!

there def should be room where ppl can hold meeting, complete w/ board meeting equipment:projector, white board etc etc etc....technically i guess these rooms could also be used for 'group projects'/a big group of ppl want to work/discuss/study together on smtin, they're not disturbing the piece...unless tyler this isn't an issue in the other hubs?? ppl working in groups? i imagine the hubs to be very quiet....

i dig bean bag chairs, maybe not as every seat...cup holders are cool for the odd chair...they are kinda annoying at times but then again, don't sit in a chair that has one! or don't use it Smile

recording studio would be cool...but wouldn't that be getting away from the point of the Hub? I know a couple of ppl that would love to have a place they can show off their music and record for a small/no price (starving artists you know!)

show casing local artists of any form is very good PR for both sides: Hub gets known and artist gets known.

ty to answer ur question about my vision for the Hub being 'youth-oriented', basically what we've talked about here, everything (or mostly) is for the youth/young adults and it's exactly how i envision it...having a place student can chill, work, eat, learn in a relax environment, it's swell!!!

personally, i thought the Hub was/is supposed to be for every walk of life, not just arts...being a science student an all, so if we do focus on just arts oriented concepts, we'd be pushing away other fields......

now w/ everything I've said, we can't please everyone and can't have everything all at once....so if the Hub is going to be arts oriented, than it is, science, engineers and business won't come (the majority) but you'll be getting the arts group....now if we want al walks of life to enjoy the Hub, it can't be focused on just one group....Tyler how are the others hubs? do they have a general tone/atmosphere/ or do you see them focused in one direction?

as for the 'everything all at once'.....getting a hub will only work if we start small and then go big, starting big first we'll lose money, time effort etc etc etc.....so if we do want ie a recording studio (i luv this idea and really want it to work...although maybe the hub isn't the best place, but here's hoping), probably shouldn't be in the plans right off the hop. thus I, me, believe that the hub's plan's should be drawn so that future expansion can be executed and acheived....that or once we've out grown our first establishment, we find a bigger place that will feature more things.

sorry for the delay and the length of this email, thought it best to keep things short and precise and not clumped in one big paragraph....i'm sorry if i seem rude in any way, i wanted the email short and to the point quickly!

later days!

To: thwprice@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 06:12:30 -0500

Great ideas bouncing around everyone!

For the silence bubble idea; I really have little idea of how it would work. It'd be a rather small space (probably just one or two people and a desk or something), though we'll probably also have meeting/private rooms for people so I wonder if they might be a little bit superfluous. I have little idea as to practicalities behind the idea; its really just an idea for people to deal with more private matters in the Hub, particularly if it is their main base of operations. Smile

A recording studio... now that's interesting. How skilled does an individual need to be to use a recording studio? Obviously to create high quality music there'll be more skill required but can someone with a basic understanding of music use it? Or would there need to be someone with the required skills on site to assist with the process?

As for pockets for travel mugs: every chair? Even those near tables or such? I can see it being a big help considering the impending threats of liquid near computers (which has become a nigh necessity for accomplishing most things in life). Do we know of a company that can provide said chairs in a sustainable manner?

All the best all!

Tyler

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:04:53 -0500

Hello,

My crazy idea does pertain to a recording studio - artists are hungry in Winnipeg. They tend to leave Winnipeg for someplace with higher quality studio facilities. Local recording companies often get overbooks; they tend to be understaffed. The Hub could solve this problem, as well as bring in a steady flow of clients in the artistic category. Also (although my knowledge is limited) I believe some photographers and visual artists need space to do their work, any suggestions or comments to that?

Tom

To: arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:40:30 -0500

Hi all!

After receiving an idea from a member at Kings Cross I'm wondering what people think about this for an ideal Hub situation: quiet boxes. They'd be small, sound proofed (to some extent) boxes so members can partake in phone calls or other sensitive audio material without the worries of open space affecting the situation, also taking the members away from the noise that happy Hubbits can cause. What are the thoughts on this?

- Tyler

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:28:20 -0500

I think ideally every chair should have those built-in pockets for travel mugs, like on buses or in movie theatres.
That's my crazy idea for now,
Kesley

Admin
Admin

https://thehubwinnipeg.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The Conversation Thus Far Empty So Far Pt. 2

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 am

A continuation of what has already transpired...

To: thwprice@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 04:53:15 -0500

Great work everyone!

The consensus thus far seems to be; yes to a cafe, and stock it with yummy food and drinks, with some bar aspects to it for events. As for plants in the space; other Hubs have admitted it to being one of their great failings in having actual green in their 'green space' so I think it'd be great for us to have some actual plants in the space. Plants mean natural light, of course, which really makes working indoors so much more worth it.

What kind of people do we think would be most helped by the Hub? Who is the kind of interesting person we'd love to see hanging around the space on a Friday afternoon for a chat. I, for one, think that it'd be beyond amazing if we got someone like David Suzuki in as an honorary member; in case he ever needs somewhere to relax on a Friday afternoon when he's in Winnipeg! What about creative types? What could we do to get writers, musicians, artists, and all the other great creative types into the space? What do they look for in a place to work?

Beyond that; what are some of the crazier, ideal situations that people have? For example; if we had unlimited money to put into the project, what would we do? Would we want a recording studio? Screening theatre? Projector screens in every room? Beanbag chairs for every chair?

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:59:19 -0500

Hello Everyone,
Sorry for my lacking amount of input as of recent, haven't found a lot of time to focus on anything besides my own department recently. I took a look at the brochure, believed it was excellent. Very new age and "hip" as one may put it. The atmosphere itself appeared comfortable and, most importantly, productive. Thanks Tyler for posting it. Also, although specific, I recognize Danica's indoor plant idea as a good one. This would make the space appear much more comfortable, especially if it is being complimented my contemporary interior design. And for the bar discussion, if we are to assume that the Hub would be located downtown or near the core, there would be no shortage of local bars within walking distance I'm certain. Once again, to reiterate Danica, "I think it would be a great idea to have beer and wine and other hard alcohol available on request only for events."

Good Luck,

Thomas

P.S. Sorry for the lack of actual business output, I'm somewhat clueless as to the actually happenings in that category; I leave it to the professionals.

To: danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:57:04 -0500

Oops! Forgot to attach the brochure! They've added a new 40 work hours per month tariff for middle of the range members.

All the best,

Tyler

To: danicanica88@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:55:41 -0500

Hello all!

Attached is Kings Cross's latest brochure to see what they're advertising themselves as and I will be traveling in about two weeks and, as such, have a handy dandy report of several different Hubs to share with everybody. Just some more stuff that I hope whets your appetites for all things Hubbish.

There has been, lately, a slight drought of communication about the Hub Winnipeg, largely attributable to midterms and school work I figure, but if there's an opportunity, I'd like to brainstorm other groups that we think could benefit from a Hub in Winnipeg and what we'd be able to provide for them. Off the top of my head I can think of; Mountain Equipment Co-op for larger meetings, launches, and holiday parties; International Institute for Sustainable Development (conveniently headquartered in Winnipeg) for meetings, project launches, and a relaxation space; and the University of Manitoba, being able to offer membership services for both students and staff (likely at a discounted rate) and also a space for events (be they for student groups or whatever).

Thanks all! I hope midterm assignments and exams are going well for all!

- Tyler

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 05:39:53 -0500

Hi all,

I agree with Jenwa about serving alcohol at the hub. I think it would be a great idea to have beer and wine and other hard alcohol available on request only for events. I have also thinking about what organic food to serve. There are a few great organic restaurants in winnipeg and a number of stores we can get organic ingredients at. It might even be worth it to hire someone to make pastries, soups and sandwiches during the day. Although that most likely wouldnt be possible right away, it might be something we want to work towards.

A roof garden would be amazing! Unfortunately we are living in Winnipeg so while a roof garden would be great in late spring and summer I think we should also focus on having plants inside the building. Growing our own herbs would be great as well and thats something we can still do inside that could be done all year.

Danica

To: fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; tomichinski@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 23:54:55 -0600

Hello Everyone,

Tyler and I were talking and we thought it would be a good idea to hold a contest that would involve the local Universities and Colleges. The contest would be designing the interior of the space. It would mainly be a contest for interior designers of course but it would also help get the word around the Colleges and Universities about the Hub.

I believe there is a bar in the Kings Cross Hub and if possible it wouldn't be a bad idea, if we are going to be renting the space out and all. Well thats all I have for the time being.

Brock Christensen

To: danicanica88@hotmail.com; tomichinski@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:48:04 -0600

Howdy,

Thanks for the run down Tyler.

I think for the most part, people interested in greener business would be willing to consider the Taylor Park & Ride. You drive to a guarded lot and an express bus whisks you downtown. No other part of the city gets this luxury as far as I know... People in that area have some good solid answers. Parking is still an issue though because business owners are busy people. Possibly... membership could include parking passes? Downtown Biz could help with that. If not, they offer free walks to buses and cars. Sweet....

I like to imagine all the small business that could benefit from this environment. Especially because there is such a huge number of yoga teachers. I know at least five yoga teachers that rent out ugly gyms, basements and churchs a few nights a week. What if one of the board rooms could be rented in the evenings? A decent room that doesn't smell like teenagers could be great for people like that! Also, zen rooms? Cheap to decorate. A pillow here... A bamboo plant there... Done.
Not to mention just small inner city businesses that support good green business like Organic Planet, Humbolts Legacy, Shoe Doctor, Neighborhood Cafe and Bookstore, Prairie Grass Bakery, Brave New World and maybe even The Perfumerie. I don't know what their specific needs are but I can find out if that's interesting to people's concept of the Hub.

Danica brings up the important aspect of artists. What does Art City think? Could they possibly hold their art show in the lounge or in a hall that the hub can offer instead of a church basement? I personally hate Art City because they have jerked me around at a few festivals so I couldn't face paint but I'd talk to them about the idea. Maybe the same room could also be big enough to have guest speakers and attendees. Business owners and artists and what have yous could benefit from that.
THose aaree allll my ideas for now.

Jenwa

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:04:29 -0600

Hey all,

Ive been doing some thinking about starting up this hub in Winnipeg. I think its a great idea and if we can get enough people interested it could really take off. After seeing the Kings Cross Hub I think having a cafe type place in the building would really help out. Not only for the members during day to day work but also for hosting events and such.

I was also thinking of how we could bring in people from all different types of businesses, mainly how can we bring in more of the arts as well as small business owners? Trying to find a building downtown would certainly be a good place to attract artsy people. As well as possibly finding a space that could be converted into a theater at times for people who want to perform. Actually finding a way to get a few performances a month would probably get more people aware of the Hub, as well as provide a nice environment for artists to put on shows. The Kings Cross Hub often has writers coming in to work. It would be great to create a new place in winnipeg that writers could come together and share and work with each other.

Im curious to hear what other people think the hub could be like!

Hope everyone is doing well
Danica Penner

Be good, and dont fall over.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Conversation Thus Far Empty So Far Pt. 3

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 am

To: cloud_4000@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:39:44 -0600

Hello all, a couple of people have asked me what the Hub's business model is (how it works and where the money comes from) so I'll provide the one that Kings Cross uses so people have an idea. Like I said before, each Hub tends to be different, though they all tend to be based upon some form of membership. Please forgive me if I lapse into business speak for periods of time; I'll do my best to ensure this is Simple.wikipedia style.

The Hub Kings Cross has four main activities that make it money (as it is a social enterprise: aimed at doing good while making money): membership, the cafe, renting of meeting space, and events space/management.

The membership is generally the bedrock of any Hub; it provides access to Hub Space (a sort of Facebook-esque thing but it will eventually be better: still under construction a little bit) which has the contact information to every Hub Member as well as any Hub staff from any Hub in the world, a set number of hours in the space for the month (if a member requires additional they pay on a for use basis but the enforcement is generally voluntary/light touch so an hour over or so is usually accepted), access to a variety of Hub member events, access to a Hub World Passport (while the technicalities are still being worked out, it will allow any member to go to any Hub and still get in and do what they need to do), and any other bits and bobs that the local Hub negotiates as value added (for example, Hub Kings Cross members get a discount with certain enviromentally friendly acountancy firms that are located within London). Membership is usually created in a variety of tiers ranging from the "Visiting Member" which allows a couple of hours a month and access to the network to the "Unlimited Member" who is allowed to be at the Hub any time that it is open and is, in Kings Cross, given free teas and coffee (and some other perks now and then such as snacks).

The Cafe is rather self explanatory: members are more then welcome to bring their own food and drink within the Hub (providing it is legal, of course) but there is also a cafe serving a variety of foods and drinks, though the prices go up in the evenings to reflect the premium of paying additional staff.

Renting of meeting space: The Hub Kings Cross has three special meeting rooms complete with digital displays, white boards/glass boards, and other meeting supplies which can be booked out to members or non-members for meetings, creative sessions, workshops or whatever. Generally, if a member desires to bring in more then 2 guests with them to the Hub they are asked to rent a room. In addition, membership receives approx. a 25% discount in the renting of rooms during the day.

Events: the Hub Kings Cross is bookable by members and non-members alike for evenings and weekends for special events. In the past the space has been used for such events as: the Ethical Fashion Forum meetings, the Starbucks Christmas party (in part celebrating their Fair Trade initiatives), the Development Trust Association's shareholders' meeting, and they are currently trying to increase visibility to the arts community to use the space for fashion shoots/filming opportunities, especially on weekends.

So that's the (hopefully) simplified version of how the Hub Kings Cross works (and gets its money from). As I said before; this is simply a guideline as to one way that it is done. I am very sorry about the long email but sincerely hope that people will find the time to contribute to this discussion soon as I would like to be able to have a meeting soon after returning and not feel like we have to being the discussion at page one.

All the best and hope all are well,

Tyler

To: tomichinski@hotmail.com; jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:01:25 -0600

first off, thanks for sending the picture again in a more manageble form Razz

personally i dig the kitchnette concept, but the only issue w/ that is the cleaning...like the microwaves (u did say heat things up rite?) and other such appliances......do they have that issue there? or how exactly does the whole kitenchette thing work?

totally dig the 'board rooms', it's easier to have group projects happenning as well as any other type of meeting that you may need to have......i think it's important to have also a space that only you can work at.......but some 'hot desking' probably wouldn' tbe a bad idea...the tables are bigger if u need to spread your stuff over everything, or if u want to study w/ someone but it's not really a discussion, it can still happen Smile

personally the look of the hub would have to be decided depending on where we want to build, w/in reason...i mean i can't really envision this big uber modern building in the middle of a more traditional area........

the are would have to be somwehere w/ easy access to everyone, whether u drive, walk, cab or bus it, it should be easily accessible.....and perferbaly not very far from everyong....so i guess downtownish would probably be the best bet...however personally i dislike driving in downtown, especially if i have to park ><" RIDICULOUS and yes i can bus or figure out another way to get there, but driving is very conveniant for me and for my family, so that's why i drive ^_^ (not that everyone had to knwo that lol)

organizations that would prob be interested in the Hub would be those about communnity and youth....I envision the hub to be a li'l more youth oriented that adult oriented....but youth as in late years of high school until their final year of univeristy (roughly...so i guess 17-28ish) United Way, global are the two that pop right away into my head for the time being......

and last thought, i would totally b down w/ a 'green hub'

cheers!

To: jacobsonchad@hotmail.com; shadowbrock@hotmail.com; cloud_4000@hotmail.com; fortheloveofchaos@hotmail.com; arquoya@hotmail.com; danicanica88@hotmail.com; thwprice@hotmail.com
Subject: The Prairie Hub
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:24:28 -0600

Hello all,

As you all know, to one extent or another, I have been working at the Kings Cross Hub in London and getting to know the entire operation here from the top to bottom. In addition, we're in the process of organizing a tour of several of the mainland European Hubs to compare business models; basically their way of doing things differently. What this email is for is to get the conversation going again about creating a Hub in Winnipeg. The Hub board of directors, those who decide if we can actually be associated with their brand, and I want to make sure that there is a community for the Hub to be a part of and grow with in Winnipeg.

So, as I said, the purpose here is to get the discussion going again as to what we desire the Hub to be in Winnipeg, what services it can offer, and if there is an adequate community for it to form a relationship with. To spark people's ideas and creativity, there is a picture of the Hub Kings Cross attached and I will give a basic gist of how things are done at the two Hubs I have been to so far so they can exist as a comparison and a more concrete idea to look at, whether we choose to build ours similarly or not, compared to before. The Hub Kings Cross has a cafe which operates quasi independently of the rest of the Hub. In addition there are meeting rooms that can be booked out, plenty of areas for people to have informal conversations and meetings, and a library area on the third floor for a quieter working area. The Hub Islington, by comparison, is a communal workspace with hot-desking, storage areas for members, and a small kitchenette area where members help themselves to tea and coffee or warm up meals they have brought from home.

I've tried to be as unbiased as possible when describing the two Hubs I have been to of yet and I will save my personal annotations and opinion for the Prairie Hub for when the conversation is more underway. I am very excited to get the conversation moving again and see if we can get a Hub started in Winnipeg. A couple questions for everyone to try to help spark their brainstorming process; what are organizations in Winnipeg that the Hub would be of interest to? What do they envision being able to do at the Hub? Where do they think it should? What would their dream Hub look like?

To wrap things up I have a couple of pieces of housekeeping; if you aren't interested in the Hub or things Hubbish please just send me an email and I'll be sure that you aren't included in future emails. Also, if everyone could send each email to everyone, we can all take part in our little e-conversation.

All the best,

Tyler Omichinski

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Conversation Thus Far Empty Re: The Conversation Thus Far

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum